Hot and Dandy

IMG_3835.PNG

I’m not a coffee drinker for religious reasons, but I do love the flavour so I’m always on the search of something close :) Especially when it’s -35 degrees outside (like today) and I am dying for a hot drink!

If you clicked this post because….

You are looking for a replacement to cut down on your coffee intake

OR

You are about to start an elimination diet and cutting out the coffee is one of your worries about starting

OR

You are pregnant/breastfeeding and trying to avoid coffee

You came to the right place!

I want to tell you about a little gem I discovered a couple of years ago called Dandy Blend! There are so many coffee substitutes out there, however most aren’t gluten free so I’ve always been a little bummed I haven’t been able to try them.

I LOVE that Dandy Blend has so many nutritional benefits and doesn’t require a lot (if any) sweetener!

Let me introduce you to the blend a little bit….

- Dandy Blend is made of only 5 ingredients — extracts of barley, rye, dandelion, chicory and beet roots.

- It’s gluten free! It doesn’t contain barley and rye, but rather their water extracts - which is a big difference. Gluten and Gliadin proteins are not water soluble, which means that all gluten and gliadin are left behind in the grounds, and get thrown away.

ps the company even tests for traces of gluten!

- There are no added sugars or sweeteners in Dandy Blend. Dandelion root and chicory root contain inulin, (an indigestible starch for humans), but provides food for good intestinal bacteria. Chemically, it is nothing more than a bunch of fructose molecules held together by simple bonds that can be broken by either freezing or roasting.

- The sweetness in Dandy Blend comes primarily from roasting dandelion roots long enough until a sweet coffee-chocolate smell comes from the oven, which is what it takes to break down the inulin completely and release all the fructose. Chicory roots are roasted long enough to release about 60% of the fructose, leaving about 40% to feed the bacteria

- It is safe for pregnant/breastfeeding women. It can support blood purification & support an increase in lactation. There are some warnings about chicory root in pregnancy, particularly in the first trimester, but problems are extremely rare. Chicory overall is a safe and very beneficial herb, especially in moderation. When you drink Dandy Blend, you are getting only a small amount of chicory. To be safe, you should check with your health practitioner.

- Dandelion root has the reputation of relieving digestive distress (acid reflux, gas, and so on).

- It contains over 50 trace minerals in each cup, most of which the body uses to help synthesize compounds needed in metabolism.

Major minerals it contains :
Potassium 22.2 mg
Sodium 3.2 mg
Phosphorus 2.8 mg
Magnesium 2.0 mg
Calcium 2.1 mg
Iron 0.9 mg
Aluminum 0.05mg
Manganese 0.03

- The naturally occurring trace minerals in dandelion root can support adrenal functions that provide energy. It gives some people enough energy they can’t drink it before bed - so you will have to see how it effects you!

- Drinking Dandy Blend is Alkalizing, which typically means it is neutralizing to the body.

(These facts are from the FAQ’s on the Dandy Blend Website)

DANDY PROTEIN MOCHA

Ingredients

6-8 oz oz of boiling hot water

1 rounded TBSP of Dandy Blend

10g of chocolate protein powder

shake of cinnamon

Directions

1. While the water boils, in a mug mix chocolate protein powder with a little bit of water till it dissolves. Once mixed add, Dandy Blend and cinnamon to your mug.
2. Add the boiling water, stir, taste. The protein powder should sweeten it enough however, If you would like it a bit sweeter, add a bit of stevia.

*to make it extra creamy, add 2-3 tablespoons unsweetened, full fat canned coconut milk with the powders before the hot water.

To try it out for yourself click here.

There are 3 different sized bags you can choose from!

With my 1 on 1 coaching packages you will get access to a closed FB group where I share “hacks” (like this coffee replacement) to replace some of your favourite things with something else you can love! The groups members share recipes, tips, support and friendship :)